tirsdag den 5. marts 2019

The importance of rain


Today it rained for the first time since i arrived on the rainy 1th of February. Both February and Marts is usually rainy months, but ever since i came we have only had hot, sunny days. This weekend we had about 22degrees Celsius and we were burning in the sun. The small streams are already drying out and the clay soil is cracking. I was lucky the other day where I found a teeny tiny waterfall on the field. 



The old farmers are predicting that it will rain a lot very soon as it is supposed to and then the summer will be extra warm this year. Let us hope that they are right about the rain, but the heat I am a bit scared of! How will 40-50degrees Celsius be for a silly Danish girl who is not used to that!? It is going to be insane! My garden master Andrew keeps talking about how to make shadow for our plants in the garden with green nets and tall beans planted in the beds. I surely understand why it is so important to provide shadows for our crops here, but I will have to relearn that in Denmark where it is kind of the opposite. It is also super important to have good water storage and management, such as ponds and reservoirs. Juan Jo, a local guy working here, showed me the water system here and it is huge! It is on the whole farm and it is necessary.

I pray for rain while learning to play “Regndans” by Danseorkestret on guitar.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar